Friday, February 24, 2012

Song of the Day 2/24/12


Who is Lantlôs? I honestly don't know. I found these guys from a list of the Top 10 'Modern' Black Metal Albums of 2010. The link to the site where I found out about these guys is http://www.infernalmasquerade.com/?q=001491-top-10-039modern039-black-metal-albums-2010. I listened to a lot of Metal music back in high school, in fact I almost exclusively listened to heavy music. I've branched out considerably since then, but I still listen to the stuff that has redeeming musical qualities.

One genre I feel is very hit or miss is Black Metal. You have to wonder how anyone could take seriously a genre personified (whether accurately or not) by people who dress like this.


I always felt that when it was done right though, it could be the most beautiful genre in all of metal. There are many bands that incorporate black metal themes without necessarily forming to all the genre conventions. Some notable examples that come to mind off the top of my head are Ikuinen Kaamos, Akercocke, Drudkh, and Wolves in the Throne Room. I was listening to the bands posted on the site I referred to earlier though, and this album really stood out.

.neon by the German band Lantlôs is 40 minutes of melodic metal bliss. To call the album Black Metal is a serious disservice to the variety of styles employed throughout the six tracks. Pulse/Surreal is a great example of their overall style, and I haven't listened to them long enough to adequately explain their sound, so the only way to get an idea of it is to actually listen to the track (or the entire album if you have the time) in one sitting.



I realize my description has been pretty vague, and for that I apologize. I just had to share this band with other people after listening to them the last few weeks. Even if you don't typically listen to metal, give these guys a shot, and if you keep an open mind you'll almost certainly find something to like.

   -Chris



No comments:

Post a Comment