Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Song of the Day 2/29/12







Tonight I'm posting what might be my favorite Thrice song. Back in high school, a few of my friends and I used to mock them for overusing what we called the "Thrice Beat" (which is a pounding snare on 1, 2, 3, & 4). We still liked them to be sure, but the band they've grown into definitely has a more mature sound overall, and The Alchemy Index project was a perfect showcase for their newfound musicality.

The Water EP that came out alongside Fire in 2007, was a vast departure from what longtime fans had come to associate with the band. There were hints of this sound on Vheissu, but on Water they completely dropped all conventions and created a slow paced, melodic, ambient at times album.



The "Thrice Beat" was replaced by programmed drums, and the pounding guitars were replaced by interwoven keyboard melodies, the sum of which was a six-track soundscape that really drew me into the band for the first time.

Digital Sea is the first of these tracks, and that might be the only reason it seems to be me go to track from the EP, but either way, I've now clocked in over 90 listens of this one in particular.

I know one of the tracks is called Night Diving, but I like to bring this cd with me when I'm Night Driving. Cracking the windows and driving around listening to that cd is one of the best ways I've ever found to relax. As always, if you haven't heard of these guys, or just this album, go check it out, and help support the musicians out there making awesome music for us all to live our lives to.

   -Chris (Night Driver)

No comments:

Post a Comment