Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Song of the Day 2/28/12



Tonight I'm going to post what has been my favorite Alkaline Trio song since I first heard it.


Good Mourning was my introduction to Alkaline Trio, and is still my favorite album to date. I heard it in 2003 when it first came out, and even though every song was amazing, Every Thug Needs A Lady stood just a little bit above the rest. Alkaline Trio is not known for being an uplifting band, but this song is perhaps the best exception to that rule.

This is a love song. Vocalist/Bassist Dan Andriano wrote thing song with genuine feelings of love towards his new wife, and the result is arguably the most (only?) uplifting Alkaline Trio song ever. I keep talking about lyrics to these songs I've been posting, and as I've said I'm really not someone to place much emphasis on the lyrics of a song (I tend to let the music speak to me), but this song absolutely requires discussion

"I know it's dark here you know that I'm scared, too
For some reason right now of everything but you
Right now, you're all that I recognize
You know I came here when I needed your soft voice
I needed to hear something that sounded like an answer
And I'll wait here and sometimes I get one

It's nothing I'll forget when the moon gets tired
You're stuck to me every day
Believe in what I am because it's all I have today
And tomorrow who knows where we'll be

From here I can hardly see a thing
But I will follow anyone who brings me to you
For now, forever, for on and on and on

You know it starts here outside waiting in the cold
Kiss me once in the snow I swear it never gets old
And I will promise you I can make it warmer next year
You know I came here when I needed your soft voice
I needed to hear something that sounded like an answer
Now I'll stay here and everyday I get one

It's nothing I'll forget when the moon gets tired
You're stuck to me every day
Believe in what I am because it's all I have today
And tomorrow who knows where we'll be

From here I can hardly see a thing
But I will follow anyone who brings me to you
For now, forever, for on and on and on

So go plug in your electric blanket
We could stay here till our southern summer wedding day
Go plug in your electric blanket
We can stay here"
Songwriters: Daniel Michael Andriano, Derek R Grant, Matthew Thomas Skiba

I feel like the first verse really describes the place Dan found himself prior to meeting his wife. She opened up a whole facet of life to him though, and this song is a direct love letter to her, essentially thanking her for the changes she allowed him to make in his own life. He says that "it's nothing I'll forget when the moon gets tired", meaning that his love for her does not fade with each passing day, rather it will continue on into the future.

The song brings up winter and cold weather multiple times, in my opinion as a metaphor for hopelessness, danger, and uncertainty. As he surelly said in his wedding vows, Dan promised to love her through the good times, and the bad times. By promising to make the winter warmer next year, he is essentially sayin that he plans to work hard to ensure that every day is better than the last.



The last verse talks about an electric blanket, and I take this both literally and as a metaphor. Literally, I envision him never wanting to leave her side, despite the dropping temperatures around them as they continue to fall more in love with eachother, while it also represents his attempt to protect her from the problems life is sure to bring with it. It is a fitting ending to the song, and I realize some of you might think I sound a little soft after all this. I couldn't care less honestly, as I truly feel this is a beautiful song, and hope to one day feel the emotions Dan felt as he was writing this song.

   -Chris (Longtime Alkaline Trio Fan)

No comments:

Post a Comment